Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2023, 11:00 PM   #375
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Can you explain why you think the Russian invasion of Ukraine would in any way make people feel like siding with Russia or voting "right"? Or did you mean the opposite here?

For example, the general public here in the Netherlands sees the NATO as being overrun and dictated by the USA, with the perception of the USA being a country with only right wing politics (yes, even the Clintons, Obamas and Bidens). Voting anti-NATO would mean a shift to the left, no?

Rainmaker can speak for himself but I would say that voting anti-NATO is more of a right wing talking point than a left wing one here in the U.S. I also saw that Wilders's position on Ukraine is "the Netherlands should stop providing arms to Ukraine, because it needs them to protect itself." Again more of a right wing though that has begun to change recently. Now I am not saying there are not those that voted in a manner to side with Russia. But I know from talking to family and friends in Germany and Italy there are people who are voting for not being forced to side with Ukraine.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote