View Single Post
Old 11-23-2023, 09:43 AM   #31
BrixtonFC
n00b

vs. Whyteleafe, 14 May 2014 (Final League match of the season)

Starting Formation: Arrow
Starting 11: Madley, Mason, Mumba, Osborne, Miles, McMath, Smith, Ward, Bowerman, Allan, West
Subs: Barness, Bodin, Hill, Egan, Dunne

Now That’s What I Call Hammering! Of the starters, the lowest rating was for Madley at 7.7. The lowest outfielder rating was 8.4 and five players were 9.0 or higher. Bowerman got things started in the 3rd minute and we are up three-nil after 12 minutes. Bowerman and Allan both had two goals but Allan took his sweet ass time, getting his just before the half and 70th minute. West, Osborne, and Smith also score. Oh, and Bowerman got Player of the Match. We end the season with 76 points.

A lot of why we got this hammer, I believe, is that I finally rolled out my favorite formation. When I got into FM2014 back in October 2019 I struggled to remember all the nuances of positions from my youth days. More notable, I was kind of obsessed in figuring out pairings for Central Midfielders and Strikers. I finally settled on Advanced Forward with Deep Lying Forward up top but struggled longer in the middle of the field. My research eventually led me to Andrea Pirlo and the Regista role.

(Trust me, there are many videos out there of this Pirlo and you need to watch them. I really wish I was into football back in his heydays so I could watch more of his action.)

So I decided that I want a formation with a Regista but I also wanted two Strikers and by this time I warmed up to the idea of forward wingers. But I also wanted an MC. Hence the Arrow. Also around this time I learned about the counter-press. It works like a charm. The Regista never really gets great match rating and the statistics aren’t amazing but the wins are pretty much guaranteed. I may have found a loophole in the match engine accidentally.
Arrow Counter Press

One last note about this match: I got the Whyteleafe coach fired! Too bad that isn’t a Steam Achievement! I find the firing odd as Whytleafe were third in the league table but I guess the Chairman has a low Patience rating.

The Week Between
Walker gets his second U19 start but Northern Ireland lost to Germany, 2-0. He got a 6.9 rating so that isn’t too bad. Looking as his player card reminds me of something…

A brief look at what interest my players are getting:
• Lee Osborne is drawing interest from MK Dons (League 1)
• Sean Dunne is drawing interest from Ebbsfleet (Conference South)
• Mark Bodin is drawing interest from Worthing (Isthmian Division 1 South)

Also, some end of season stats:
• Goals: Allan (12), Bowerman (6), West (3)
• Assists: Bowerman (6), West (3), Ward (3), Allan (3)
• Key: Passes – Bowerman (9), Headers – Mumba (12), Tackles – Osborne (5)
• Avg. Rating: Allan (8.61), Bowerman (8.45), West (8.33)
BrixtonFC is offline   Reply With Quote