View Single Post
Old 11-07-2023, 04:13 PM   #27
BrixtonFC
n00b

at St. Helens, 9 April 2014

Starting Formation: 4-4-2 Control
Starting 11: Mellor, Walker, Mumba, Osborne, Miles, Ward, McMath, Smith, Lamont, Allan, Bowerman
Subs: Madley, Mason, Barness, Bodin, Hill, Egan, Dunne

Our first mid-week game sees us in the in the semi-final of the FA Vase. Dunne was pretty spent from Saturday’s game so I brought Lamont in from the U18s and he did a fine job. Not as fine as Allan as he gets his first hat trick! First goal: about 40 yards out, his free kick goes into the far top corner, the goalie never had a chance. Second goal: It takes a while to get it but it’s “classic” Control football. Thirteen touches by five players then we eventually lose possession but Bowerman recovers from his mistake, steals it from a St. Helens defender and crosses it to Allan who heads it in from about six yards out. Third goal: Lamont sends a prayer into the box from a free kick in Outer BFE with no hope of making anything of it but our opponent’s MC l mugs Allan, throwing him to the ground. Allan has no problem completing the penalty kick.

Of note, a whopping 13 fans showed up to watch St. Helens crash and burn. Also, I hope you noticed that I used Mellor in goal, just like I said I would. But now that we are in the final for the Vase, I’ll probably go back to Madley. The final, by the way, will be our final match of the season. We only have one home game left but the FA Vase final is at Wembley. We’ll get to keep half the concession (I think) and half the gate receipts so I hope it’s a good turnout. We could really use the money as we’ve barely made a profit for the season; only £55,000. We only have £12 and three quarter million in the bank. < insert joke about budding mega-bastards here :-D >

The Week Between
I realize that I really don’t have a good solution at left wing. In the league games I’ve had to move Miles up to ML and bring Barness in at DL to close out the games. That’s not sustainable so I went looking for someone young and cheap.

Glenn Farquhar, M/AML (Stars: 2.0/5.0) Oh, hello! He is only 15 and can cross like a Champ and dribble like a Premier League player. The 16 Determination outweighs the Balanced personality I suppose. He’ll for sure be my starting left winger come next season; he doesn’t join us until 6 June.

(Why was he on the trash heap? I don’t know but I’m sure glad so many players are. Actually, I think it really comes down to the size of the database I’m using. If my calculations are right, and they rarely are, there are 732 English teams in my database. Throw in the 43 from Scotland, 20 from Ireland, 42 from Northern Ireland, 12 from Wales and the unfortunate, still lingering 28 from Belarus…let’s see…carry the 7…that’s 877 teams! The game has to have about, what 36 players per team, give or take, that’s 32,000 players! The law of averages in a simulated world means there will always be plenty of cheap good players for the teams in the very bottom of the pyramid.)

Welcome, Farquhar, I’m sure you’ll be around for a while bringing us glory.
Also this week, Sam McCarthy, my AssMan elects to start a coaching course at his own expense. Coaches need these courses to gain better licenses, which is how the game engine determines whether or not staff will reach their full Potential Ability. I’ll have to remember to have the club cover the cost of his next course.
BrixtonFC is offline   Reply With Quote