View Single Post
Old 11-04-2023, 02:20 PM   #357
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

I asked two people who know me very well what I should do about Graham's job offer, and they gave me the same advice.

My wife and I have played D&D together (thanks, Critical Role), and she approached the situation from the perspective of character creation. She pointed out that Coach Sims seems to be a character who values loyalty. "I don't think he'd feel comfortable saying to Lafayette, 'Hey, winning the national championship was fun. Now I'm off to a bigger job. Good luck in the future.' " He might make the move a few years down the line, but not while his team is the defending national champion.

My daughter also voted for staying at Lafayette. Her main argument centered on Coach Sims' relationship with his son. She pointed out that Duncan probably picked Lafayette so he could play for his Dad for four years, not for one. Graham wouldn't leave Duncan at Lafayette and, potentially, have to coach AGAINST him.

I'm proud of the fact that the only editing I've done during this story includes adding high schools to the game and creating Duncan. Even Duncan's recruitment was legit; he could have ended up anywhere, I recruited him, and the algorithm picked Lafayette. Do I want to do the kind of editing it would take to turn one of Villanova's players into a clone of Duncan Sims?

"Basketball coach starts out at small school and ends up coaching elite program is a fun storyline. I had that in mind when I started this dynasty. "Basketball coach builds small program and decides to stay the first time his dream job opens up" is also a fun story arc. I think that's the one I'm going to follow this time.

Who knows? Villanova's job may open up again, at a time when it's easier for Graham to move on from Lafayette.

Last edited by MoonlightGraham : 11-14-2023 at 01:23 PM.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote