View Single Post
Old 10-11-2023, 08:15 AM   #438
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yup, fair summary of where we are now. In a pretty good position, but also agreed that the CB position remains worrisome.

It's also probably good that there are a couple lightning rod teams in the NFC taking up a lot of oxygen and airtime... the 49ers juggernaut and the still-unbeaten Eagles. That keeps the Lions from suddenly getting a bunch of "are you guys gonna make a SuperBowl video?" crap or the modern equivalent. I don't think they would hold up well as the "too close to the sun" stripe, so on balance it's good they are playing well but remaining slightly under the radar.

We see that the division shouldn't be a problem, GB isn't a complete team and the others are not in a position to contend at all. So, this year is about growing up, rounding out, developing depth, finding out what we/they have at key positions like CB and WR, and being ready to win a playoff game.

In a way, it feels a lot like the NBA (not my expertise) where analysts talk about teams in tiers, as if the postseason series are fully predetermined outcomes. A team makes a trade for a good player and someone like Bill Simmons just says "this probably gets them into the conference championship series" in much the same way that an NFL team might be tabbed as "likely division winner" or whatnot. I feel like that's exactly who Detroit is right now... a playoff team that we expect go out and win exactly one playoff game, and then lose valiantly against a superior rival in the second round. And that's fine.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote