View Single Post
Old 09-08-2023, 09:44 PM   #418
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I would not go up against the people at PFF and claim that I know something they don't. This is what they do. I do something else and try and run correlations to winning performances.

Jones does not throw many interceptions. He also throws for about a half-yard less per pass attempt than Mayfield, a full yard less than what we'd call the top performers, and let's call it a yard and a half behind the elite quarterbacks.

His completion rate is not unusual. My data suggests that the lower yardage is quite damaging to a team's win rate. But... so are interceptions.

I do very little film watch and don't consider myself particularly insightful. Watching Goff play last night... I was impressed that when he was under pressure, he always threw a safe ball. Yet when he had the opportunity, he wasn't afraid to go after the defense.

Mayfield doesn't throw safe balls. Jones seems (and it's just my impression) afraid. Right now, I would say the trend in the NFL is to reward safe over yardage. If the PFF people say that's warranted, I'll listen.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote