View Single Post
Old 08-28-2023, 01:02 AM   #4
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The Expansion Draft

As I mentioned above, we're going through this expansion because I want a shitty team to start with, but once we get to Opening Day 1912 we're erasing all of the history and pretending like this never happened.

Still, I'm approaching this like I would a more typical Expansion Draft. I'd love to start with some younger guys who play up the middle. A pitcher would be great but we may look towards free agency to grab a veteran or two. Bullpen pieces are always easy to find in the draft, but outside of two or three good arms I won't be focusing too heavily there.

And discussing free agents reminds me - we need to roll for our acquisitions.

FA - 1
Trades - 2

Not ideal for a team with 0 players on it. But we have to make it work. I'll amost certainly try to land a SP with the FA spot and probably utilize my ability to swap the 2x trades for an extra FA acquisition.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. The draft. It's now.

We'll end up with 30 players - each team is protecting 20 players with 3+ years of service, and we're allowing five players from each team to be taken in the draft as a whole.

We have the first pick, and there's three players that look to be worthy of my selection:

LF Jon Vos is 23, a god-awful OF but could definitely be a DH, with tremendous contact ability and decent power to go with it. Eye could be plus as well, but no speed, no defensive ability - what's this guy going to look like at 30?

SS Mike Clark is a 55 according to our scout, a relatively light-hitting, glove-first guy, but also 32 years old. Not a great guy to build around, long-term.

Finally, there is a guy listed as a SP. Nelson Martinez, 26, excellent stuff and solid movement but lacking the command I'd like to see. He's under contract for another three years (through 1914) at a very reasonable rate (around $10-12M). I think this is the way to go, and he becomes the first ever New Orleans Kingfish.

I go back-to-back SP with our next pick, adding Juan Garcia, 24. He's a side-arming lefty that may end up in the pen but has four great pitches and elite stuff that'll just get better in the pen. We'll let him have his shot in a starting role to kick things off, and he's under team control for four years.

OF but really DH Jon Vos is still available, so we take him with the next pick and at the very least have a guy who won't strike out and maybe with some luck could have a .400 OBP someday.

Switch-hitting 2B Paul Bermudez is taken with our fourth selection - he's an all-around solid hitter with very little to write home about re: his defense. He can really never move off 2B, but has some speed and hits the ball in the air.

The last guy I'll mention, our fifth selection is CF Ed Carty. He has great range and is good enough to stay in center, makes a ton of contact but no eye to speak of. With just two years of service time, the 23-year-old Carty will be under team control for another four years.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 08-28-2023 at 08:32 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote