View Single Post
Old 07-13-2023, 04:36 PM   #58
Radii
Head Coach

Thursday

Game 1:

We have a Jinx, Tristana, and Warwick on 2-1 and the Zaun Mod is the OP Robotic Arm. We commit to Jinx reroll and expect a very easy top 4 from this position. The Gunner Crown on 3-2 feels perfect, gives me 4 gunner very early. We got piltover in on 2-6 as well, which isn't ultra powerful when mostly winning, but it helps a bit. I didn't really want Golden Ticket on 4-2, it's better earlier, but my other choices sucked and I had committed to re-rolling for Jinx and was behind.

It took me all of stage 4 to hit 3* Jinx and I lost all 5 rounds, putting my "free top 4" in Jeopardy. 1 Unit losses on 5-1 and 5-2 drop me to 22 health, but a 5-3 win gives me a 39 power T-Hex and hope for a top 4, but boy have we made this difficult. We do barely hang on for a 4th, we'll take it. I could have all-in'd on 4-3 instead of waiting all of stage 4 and probably made this a bit easier.

Composition:

4 Gunner/4 Zaun/3 Piltover

Jinx/Zeri (Damage)
Sejuani (Tank)
Heimerdinger/Senna (key 5 costs)
Ekko/Jayce/Urgot (Traits)

Portal & Augments:

Portal: Petricite Forest - Units are larger and have 150 more health
2-1: Pumping Up I (Silver) - Gain 8% attack speed and 0.5% additional attack speed every round
3-2: Gunner Crown (Prismatic) - Gain Emblem, Jayce, and Hurricane
4-2: Golden Ticket (Prismatic) - 50% chance of a free roll every time you roll

Key Decision: Deciding to re-roll for Jinx on 4-1 instead of pushing levels The existance of a Zed reroll taking other two costs out of the pool convinced me I'd hit even though I hadn't found many Jinx's yet.

Result
4th: +10 LP (Current: D4 97 LP)

-------------------------------

Game 2:

We have a 5 component opener, which usually accellerates the lobby similar to a prismatic opener. We take an extra full item with the deathblade. This wants very badly to be Akshan reroll, IE + DB + Hurricane (we don't have that yet) would be perfect for Akshan. We hit Trist and Jinx in stage 2, I still prefer Akshan but it could just be Jinx again with not quite optimal items.

There's a zed reroll, as always, which increases my odds of finding Jinx, there's also an Akshan forcer (took Shurima augment w/ an IE on 2-1), so we settle in to Jinx, not feeling great b/c the circumstances only half fit.

We 3* Jinx on 4-2, having the sense to all-in very early this time. This is a lobby where two people are streaking and everyone else is dying. At stage 4 carousel I'm in 3rd with 39 health, 7th has 22. Absolutely anything could happen here - except winning lol. But 2nd-8th, sure.

In the end it's a very well deserved 5th.

Composition:

4 Gunner/3 Piltover/2 Zaun/2 Bruiser

Jinx/Senna (Damage)
Vi/Sejuani (Front Line)
Heimer (key 5 cost)
Ekko/Jayce/Zeri (traits)

Portal & Augments:

Portal: Unstable Rift - gain an temporary item each round - it's random
2-1: A Cut Above (Gold) - gain a deathblade, getting a kill w/ the unit with the deathblade has a 50% chance to drop 1g
3-2: Battle Ready II (Gold) - 6% Damage/6% Damage Reduction
4-2: Portable Forge (Gold) - Gain an Ornn Item - we get an Infinity Force, bleh (wanted Eternal Winter)

Key Decision: Every moment that I stuck with Jinx instead of trying to roll for something else.

Result
5th: -10 LP (Current: D4 87 LP)

Post Game Thoughts - So obviously I was never for a moment happy to be playing Jinx. Why? My items were not good for Jinx. She wants attack speed via Rageblade and Hurricane that amplifies the innate damage from the Gunner trait. My Zaun mods sucked. I checked out 4 zaun and had nothing I could put on Jinx, so I ditched it and dropped back to 2. I didn't get piltover til very late, so I couldn't even gain a small advantage from all the losing I was doing by powering up the Dino. Everything was wrong for this comp.

But I still got 5th. The question is whether that is the best I could have done this game, or whether I could have transitioned into another comp that was not Akshan that could use DB/IE, probably Yasuo/Kaisa with Yasuo being the carry. I'm not sure. But I'm happy with 5th, that's for sure.

------------------------------------

Data Review

tactics.tools does a great job of laying out all kinds of data. It gives stats on all of hte traits I've played over the last 50 games and how much LP I've gained/lost with each one. Lets take a look at that and see what we can learn. There's lots of traits so we're going to be skipping around a bit:

1. Technologist: 8 games - +109 LP - This is Heimer. This makes sense, Heimer is expensive, you slot him in to power up an already successful comp. He comes in on the Jinx comp whenever I find him, but also in Challengers and other things when there's room.

2. 4 Gunner: 10 games - +106 LP - This is the core of Jinx. It's noteworthy that this is way better than 4 Zaun or 2 Gunner. When I have the option I should prioritize 4 Gunner. Got it.

3. 2 Juggernaut: 9 games - +94 LP - This is interesting b/c 2 Juggernaut is just a splash trait. Where am I splashing it in that it works so well? 6 Noxus would sometimes add this, and lately when I play Noxus I do prioritize it. Azir/Lux can add this but doesn't always. I'll have to pay attention to this in games.

4/5 Piltover/Redeemer - Redeemer is Senna. A lot of the 5 costs get their own unique trait. Piltover just gets added to the Jinx comp. Nothing much to say here.

7. 6 Ionia - 5 games - +67 LP - this goes more back to the last patch before Monday. But it still might be more viable than I'm giving it credit for.

8. 4 Zaun - 10 games - +48 LP - I'm gaining with this but it's very clearly less important than 4 Gunner. The Jinx comp usually ends up here but not always.

We skip a LOT here:

6 Zaun - 3 games - -16 LP - we're losing with 6 Zaun. 6 Zaun requires an emblem and is hard to get and is usually insanely strong, or at least was in an earlier patch. Maybe it's just not synergizing with what the Jinx comp wants to do and I should ignore this unless the spot is perfect.

4 Strategist -39 LP, 3 Strategist -71 LP - Azir/Lux. Man I sucked at that comp. Interesting.

2 Sorcerer - 14 games - -115 LP - this also typically indicates Azir/Lux. I *really* sucked with that haha.

So the main thing we learned here given that I'm playing a LOT of Jinx reroll is to prioritize the hell out of 4 gunner and not to get baited by Zaun. Most games wll end 4 gunner/4 zaun, but when something is different, it's all about the gunners.

I'm going to keep playing but lets post this now.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote