View Single Post
Old 07-04-2023, 02:45 PM   #36
Radii
Head Coach

Coaching Session

2 hour coaching session, we talked some theory and did an exercise and then I played two games while screen sharing. In our first coaching session he had me rank all of the 1 and 2 cost units in a tier list and we discussed it. The first coaching session was in the last set, so I've done that exercise on my own in the new set with the new units. This exercise was to do the same thing but with items, specifically discussing which items you would slam early game. I did that ranking, then he asked me to justify each item that is in S or A tier as to why it's there, and then we talked about his perception of items, and he shared his own tier list. This helped a lot, item slams can feel complicated and if you make bad items it can make your late game a lot harder as you try to figure out what units fit. I've been adjusting item priority based on reading reddit and watching streams already, but this really helped accelerate that. My perception of items was very close to his on most of them, but there were a few outliers where I highly overvalued or undervalued a couple of them.

Game 1

For this game the coach didn't comment much. I talked through my thought process and he made notes. After the game we reviewed the notes. I did ask him for answers once or twice. It was a pretty big highroll game where I got 8 challenger (6 is usually the max, got two augments to give me the ability to add more), I misplayed a few rounds pretty badly, but recovered and got a 1st.

Afterwards we talked about the notes he made on the game. The big notes is that I was selling the wrong units to make econ in the early and mid game, holding on to a pair but the 2* wasn't good enough, and selling the perfect 2 cost unit to add in at level 5 or 6. I played Yasuo/Kaisa and I learned a ton about itemizing and positioning Yasuo that I think will immediately help in my own games.

Game 2

Game 2 was also yasuo/kaisa, I ended up with a challenger emblem and an ionia emblem that allowed me to play 6 of each (it's usually 6 ionia/4 challenger). Game 2 there was a lot more backseating. I indicated that my biggest struggle right now is playing stage 4/level 7. There are two dominant comps, people roll earlier than in most other metas, and it's just very complicated to navigate. So in this game my spot on level 7 ended up being extra difficult, and he walked me through it with some suggestions in real time. Backseating even in a 1 on 1 setting can feel awkward, there's not enough time, but in this case it really helped me see some things that I wasn't doing and to see his thought process on how to navigate what is currently the most difficult part of the game.

This was super good. For those curious, I paid $300 for 4 hours of coaching between two sessions, the first back in May during set 8.5 and the second now. We'll see how much benefit I see from it. I've got the disposable income and the desire though so it feels very much worth it just for the insight and learning experience.

Tuesday Starting Rank

With the first and second back to back I'm now at Diamond 3 - 74 LP. From here some things click and I climb pretty fast, or I get confused trying to implement new things and run it down while I figure out how to do things better on my own. Lets see!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote