Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 07:03 AM   #154
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The categories are numbered for a reason. If they wanted it to be clear that the exception in each category included US citizens and PR, they could simply have placed a sentence at the end of each categories stating so. They did so for #4.

I googled on "does FL bill 264 apply to US citizens". In the returned headlines, I got ...
"restrictions on persons or entities from certain foreign countries of concern"
"prohibit Chinese citizens from purchasing land in the state"
"restrict ownership of land and property by those from seven countries of concern"
"new state law prohibits Chinese citizens"
"ban select persons from foreign countries of concern from owning ..."
"does not allow any person who is from one of those seven countries"
"targets US adversarial countries"
I guess it's possible you are correct that the proposed bill is unclear in this specific topic and does really apply to US citizens/PR (whereas I believe it does not). That would mean the Bill's summary was wrong, and the media nor ACLU/Asian American Legal Defense teams have not picked up on this issue yet.

Per my earlier statement below ... as this point is central to my position and I've been unable to convince you otherwise, I'll avoid continuing this discussion until sometime in the future where (1) media does start reporting it applies to US citizens/PR, and/or (2) there is enough evidence to convince you it does not.

I believe July 1, 2023 is the target date it goes into effect. So hopefully, it'll be clear whose interpretation is correct. I'll make a note to revisit around then.

Quote:
So in summary - if your contention still is this applies to US citizens/PR of Chinese descent, I will avoid discussing this further as it's central to my POV that it does not. And I cannot see a way to convince you otherwise. If you are right, I agree this proposal is really bad and in all likelihood IMO, the courts will overturn it (e.g. courts are good to finetune vagaries in a bill, we are a lawsuit happy country).

However, if we can agree this does not apply to US citizens/PR, I'll be glad to continue the discussion.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-24-2023 at 07:34 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote