Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 03:54 PM   #143
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I will ask these two questions as delicately as I possibly can given how we have done this sort of thing historically.
Straight up questions are fine, no need to be delicate. Just don't be accusatory or sarcastic (like others, not you specifically) before mis/understanding what I'm saying. So I appreciate you asking in a straight forward manner like you are to clarify/question my position.

Quote:
Who is responsible and what methods will they be using to verify that those Asian looking people are or are not under the influence of the Chinese Communist party?
I don't understand your question?

It's not a matter if Asian people are under the influence of the Chinese Communist party. The distinction is if the Asian buying (and owns) the property is a US Citizen/PR or a Chinese citizen. If it's a US Citizen that belongs to a communist party, no biggie, free country etc.

There will be situations where a person could be a dual-citizen of US and China (that's different topic which I've made my feelings known). I'm not sure what DeSantis is proposing in that situation but US citizen is the key and supersedes being a US/Chinese dual-citizen.

To reiterate - I am proposing that we apply whatever restrictions the other country imposes on US citizen in buying residential property in that country (e.g. not just China).

Quote:
What is the penalty for the entity I assume is not under the influence of the Chinese Communist party who owns the property when they decide that all American dollars spend so they knowingly, unknowingly, but let's be serious knowingly sell to someone under the influence of the Chinese Communist party because they have the highest bid?
See above. Belonging to Communist party is not the driver. It's whether one is a US Citizen or PR.

Quote:
Hang on, I got one more. Is the selling entity required to return the funds back to a buyer who is determined to be under the influence of the Chinese Communist party after the fact or does the buyer just happen to lose those funds which will allow the seller to keep the funds and sell the property to someone else?
See above. Belonging to Communist party is not the driver. It's whether one is a US Citizen or PR.

Question to you:

Do you believe Chinese citizens (not dual US-Chinese citizen) should be allowed to buy and own residential property in the US? In China, I can buy property but I don't own it (e.g. it's a long term lease like 70 years).

(Plenty of other countries have similar or other restrictions to prevent owning land and/or house)

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-23-2023 at 04:05 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote