View Single Post
Old 04-05-2023, 07:44 AM   #133
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And they deal with battery performance in cold weather, which I think I mentioned in a different thread a few months ago. The guy across the street got rid of his Audi EV because the range decreased so badly in the cold.

20-40% is pretty significant.

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-we...eather-459914/
Quote:
Estimates vary, but according to a study from AAA, EVs can lose about 40% of their range when the temperature drops from 75 degrees to 20 degrees Fahrenheit. The range dip is attributed to a couple of things, such as natural battery capacity loss in colder temperatures as well as the increased energy needed for heating the cabin. Using other climate features, such as the heated seats and heated steering wheel, also requires energy and cuts into a car’s range.
And also have to deal with normal battery degradation. Below said 2.3% per year but I read another article that said 1% per year. My iPhone 12 is around 85% health and I'm stressing about it.

Quote:
For example, an EV with a rated range of 250 miles would have only 150 miles of range when it’s 20 degrees outside. And that’s for a new EV — used models will see less range since all rechargeable batteries naturally lose capacity with use and time. According to Geotab, a Las Vegas-based company that tracks battery health in many EVs, average battery degradation is around 2.3% per year.
And the price ain't cheap to replace a battery.

Quote:
Anywhere around $13,000-$20,000 for Models S
At least $14,000 for a Model X premium SUV
At least $13,000 for a Model 3 entry-level sedan
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote