View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 05:57 PM   #270
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I also get the feeling this bills is about more than TikTok. They could make a law that just bans TikTok if they wanted to. This has some nefarious stuff in it and is very vague.

It lets the government ban any app or software they deem a national security threat. It doesn't go after the company, but the users. Up to a $1 million fine and up to 20 years in prison for a conviction for having used an app deemed unsafe. This includes if you use a VPN to access those apps. It is also not subject to FOIA.

They get broad rights to monitor internet traffic of all kinds from your home. Cameras, smart devices, and anything else that accesses the internet. Patriot Act for the internet.

And this has bipartisan support and a real chance of passing.

Yeah I think I posted this in the Biden thread. It's seriously overlooked right now and it has strong support from both parties.

Ring, Alexa, ect could all be accessed by the Government without your knowledge if they decide a piece of hardware used to make them is a security threat. The people that decide are a board appointed by the Secretary of Commerce, which means voters have no say in what happens and future Secretaries of Commerce can't review decisions made by their predecessors.

It's government takeover of the internet.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote