View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 02:10 PM   #124
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

November 17, 2015
Lafayette 72, St. Francis (NY) 43

We don't play very well in our season opener, but neither does St. Francis. We shoot under 40 percent from the floor, with Hubert Song and Joe Lien combining to lay bricks at a 11-for-34 pace. They're both better shooters than that.

Hubert (17 points) and Joe (16) are our leading scorers, but our best player is James Sanders. Big Colonel begins his senior season with a double-double; 16 points, 12 boards.

Alphonse Johnson, a center I recruited last year, plays 15 minutes and makes the only shot he attempts.

Bad news: An injured Venceslás Castillo leaves the game after only six minutes, and he doesn't return. His Strained Back will keep him out for a little over a week. One King (Rhett) will replace another King (Good) in our starting lineup.
Record: 1-0.

November 21, 2015
St. Francis (PA) 70, Lafayette 59

We split our series with teams representing universities named for the patron saint of animals, losing ugly to the Pennsylvania version.

Chris Jordan, last season's Freshman of the Year in the Northeast Conference, shows us how good he is as a sophomore: 32 points, 10 rebounds. Jordan outscores our guards, Joe Lien (15 points) and Hubert Song (9 points), by a wide margin.

Another double-double for James Sanders (15p, 11r) and Titanic rebounding from Rhett King (16 boards) don't make things that much better.
Record: 1-1.

November 23, 2015
Lafayette 82, Monmouth 80

Two days after losing a home game to a team with prestige in the teens, we barely hold off another, defeating the Hawks by a too-slim margin.

Joe Lien hasn't found his shooting stroke yet. He scores 16 points on 16 shots. Hubert Song has a much better game; he makes 4 out of 5 threes and finishes with 17 points.

Once again, the Big Colonel puts the team on his broad shoulders. James Sanders scores 24 points to lead all scorers, holding the talented Zachariah Metcalf to 10. James won't have a double-double in every game this season, because he finishes with "only" 5 rebounds. Rhett King, however, grabs another 11.

The past two games remind me how important Venceslás Castillo is to our success. Get well soon, King.
Record: 2-1.

November 26, 2015
Lafayette 66, Fairfield 47

We hope Dan Langdon looks at this result and thinks, "I want to play for Lafayette, because they're better than Fairfield."

We don't want Dan to think, "I should choose Fairfield, because their sophomore center, Larry Jamerson, just got rolled by James Sanders and only scored four points; I can beat him out easily."

James didn't play as well as he can--8 points, 8 rebounds--but with 13-rebound assistance from Rhett King, he kept the Fairfield bigs under tight control.

Hubert Song (16 points) and Joe Lien (12) lead us in scoring. Otis Hall contributes 8 points in 18 minutes off the bench.
Record: 3-1.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote