Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 12:47 PM   #117
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Of course, the above does rather beg the question about what our expectations are regarding the age of retirement, given that in 1950 the average age of people actually retiring was almost 69, but by 1989 this had dropped to almost 64.

This is definitely a conversation that needs to be had and will be had IMO. I think the changes that came with employment in the last 2-3 years might actually encourage some people to work well into their 70's by choice as opposed to any necessity. Not having to leave my house to go to an office or not being forced to miss family events for the sake of work definitely makes it more likely for me to work longer. The downside to that will be if the old people are not leaving the jobs, what jobs are the young people moving into?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote