Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 05:45 AM   #113
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Yeah, I'm also interested in Haley's plan.

I'm surprised she was so public about it (at least this early), not saying it's not a key part to the solution but she had to know it'll be very dangerous to her political ambitions - adding to the argument the GOP wants to cut benefits (e.g. I think most will say increasing retirement age cuts benefits) and having GOP disavow it.

But if/when that plan (or any like it) are proposed, I'm sure the one's nearing retirement won't get a hit, it'll be staged like the 1983 plan.

To be clear, I expect it to torpedo her campaign. Most people under say 40 years old have heard that Social Security won't be around when they become eligible anyway so they have no interest in keeping it around. Add that to what you said and she has no shot.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote