Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2023, 04:12 PM   #109
Edward64
Head Coach

Good that Finland seems to be going ahead with getting NATO membership and not joint with Sweden.

I wonder if Turkiye's opposition parties will be more amenable to Sweden. If so, I'm sure Sweden and other NATO countries can "donate assistance" for the vote.

Finnish president to Turkey as Erdogan drops hints on NATO membership | Euronews
Quote:
Finland's President Sauli Niinistö will head to Turkey this week, purportedly to receive positive news from Ankara about his country's NATO membership bid.

Niinistö arrives in Turkey on Thursday. He will visit areas devastated by the series of earthquakes and aftershocks in February, which left tens of thousands dead and millions more needing food, water, and shelter.

On Friday, Niinistö will meet with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Istanbul.
Quote:
A longer statement from the Finnish president said Erdogan indicated he wanted to meet "President to President" when there was a decision on NATO to communicate to the Finns.

"The Turks had hoped that I would be there to acknowledge the answer when they announced this decision. Of course, I accepted the invitation and will go to receive his expression of intent," Niinistö wrote.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote