View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 12:27 PM   #480
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I know this is kinda open-ended, but Dick Fosbury occupies a specific place in history and people's knowledge/recollection of it.

-Fosbury, and specifically the "Fosbury Flop," is generally regarded as part of trivia canon, the sort of thing you are supposed to know if you are worth a damn as a serious trivia guy

-Even more specifically, by contrast I think that nothing else in the entire world of high jumping qualifies as such... no other athlete, record-holder, etc is really considered fair game for trivia... just this one specific guy and his innovation (by name)

Generally agreed, though in studying old Online Quiz League questions, these have also popped up concerning high jumpers:

At the 1948 London games, Alice Coachman became the first black American woman to win an Olympic gold medal by prevailing in what athletics event? (HIGH JUMP)

What Asian country won its first two gold medals at this summer's Olympics, including a shared gold medal between high jumper Mutaz Essa Barshim and his Italian competitor Gianmarco Tamberi? This country will make its first men's soccer World Cup appearance next year as the host country.
Spoiler

Which Bulgarian, who won a gold medal at the 1996 Summer Olympics, is the current women's world record holder in the high jump?
Spoiler

For our purposes, I don't think the last one would be asked (that might have even been an OQL UK question, they seem to put more emphasis on track/field sports). The second one was more a current events question. The first one...maybe worth filing away. (And yes, OQL has a good number of "WTF??" questions.)

------

Other examples...the Biellmann spin maybe? Though I don't know if that's as famous (and she wasn't actually the first to perform the move). Bannister and the 4:00 mile?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 03-14-2023 at 12:28 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote