View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 10:22 AM   #108
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
- If the Lions do pass on Carter or he's gone by 6, I think I like Tyree Wilson out of the Texas Tech. Pass rush and D-Line feel like the way to go. Sharpen the tip of that spear!

I'm pimping the same site again but it's my best source of in-depth knowledge. Motor City Football doesn't think Wilson is a great fit for Detroit. Full article has more and is worth a read. See if you agree. Some clips:

Quote:
From an on-field perspective, Wilson is a bit more raw than you probably would want out of a top ten selection, but overall he would likely slot in as more of a true SDE, more or less similar to how the Lions have started deploying Joshua Paschal, an outside-inside edge player who can easily start on the outside of a formation on first- and second-down, but also has the capacity to kick inside and rush from interior alignments.

Now, as to how he fits the Brad Holmes mold? He really doesn’t. The Rams prioritized explosiveness off the edge, and that simply is not an accurate way to describe Tyree Wilson. He’s big and long and shifty, but he lacks the urgency, violence, and explosiveness off that snap that so far has defined Brad Holmes’ EDGE selections. Even in Detroit, both Aidan Hutchinson and James Houston were classified and profiled as explosive athletes. Wilson would be a stark break from that. It doesn’t mean it’s not worthwhile, it just means it’s different than what the loose expectation is.

Here’s the bigger issue when evaluating this though. I do not, personally, believe Tyree Wilson warrants the kind of hype that people like Daniel Jeremiah are saying he has. I think there is certainly a good player to work with, but Wilson is highly raw, and like Brad Holmes, I find explosiveness and urgency to be the top two traits for scouting pass rushers, and I think Wilson is noticeably lacking in both, especially in terms of a top ten selection.

Add in that you would also be drafting over Joshua Paschal in year two (though I personally wouldn’t care about that overall), and making the Lions potential re-signing of John Cominsky somewhat redundant, and I am left largely uninspired by the thought of Detroit grabbing Wilson at sixth-overall.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote