View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 11:04 AM   #69
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

May 1, 2013

Here are the Patriot League recruiting rankings:
HTML Code:
2012 Recruiting Rankings # Team Conference Best Player Rtg 5* 4* 3* 2* 1* -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 52. Lehigh Patriot League SF Gerald Propst *** 0 0 2 1 0 184. Navy Patriot League PG Justin Ceasar *** 0 0 1 0 2 262. American Patriot League C Jae Rodney ** 0 0 0 2 2 263. Lafayette Patriot League PG Alvaro Kinard *** 0 0 1 0 1 309. Army Patriot League PG Chris Catchings ** 0 0 0 1 1 316. Colgate Patriot League C William Logsdon * 0 0 0 0 3 334. Holy Cross Patriot League PG Frank Adams ** 0 0 0 1 0 341. Bucknell Patriot League PF Dana Spivey * 0 0 0 0 2

Lehigh brought in the highest-ranked class, by far. Gerald Propst and PG Pete Truman are top-200 talents, players we would have pursued if they'd shown any interest in us.

Justin Ceaser and Jae Rodney are also rated higher by the experts than our prize catch, Alvaro Kinard. I think Kinard is a great fit for our program, however, and I like Armando Brown a lot, too.

I got an email telling me that because of our success last season, our annual budget has been raised to $245,731. All of Graham Sims' assistants have one year left. If I don't decide to find anyone new for our staff, we'll have $14,229/month to spend on recruiting. That's almost $3000/month more than we worked with the past two years.

Our team's prestige has risen from 28 to 33. We're still third in the Patriot League, behind American (44) and Holy Cross (40), but we're solidly "the best of the rest."

Coach Sims receives job offers from Bethune-Cookman, Fairfield, and Texas-Arlington in the first Head Coach Round. I might briefly consider the Fairfield job if the school were located in Pennsylvania; they're a more prestigious program with a bigger budget.

In the next round, the offers are better. Niagara and Vermont offer Graham their head coaching positions. Again, since neither are Pennsylvania schools, we politely turn the offers down. Niagara, who finished 29-9 last year and are bringing in the #40 recruiting class in the nation, would tempt me otherwise.

The third round almost has me wishing I'd chosen a slightly different theme for my dynasty. Davidson makes an offer to Coach Sims! I've always liked their basketball program, and one of my best friends--a groomsman in my wedding, whose family spends time with mine almost every summer--is a Davidson alumnus. I nearly set this story in North Carolina so I could possibly coach there. But, since this is A Pennsylvania Story, I somewhat reluctantly click on "Reject Offer."

In Round Four, Chattanooga makes Coach Sims an offer. No, thank you. Winthrop and Austin Peay come calling in Round Five. Again, no thanks.

I didn't know there were six Head Coach rounds, but there are, and Weber State and Belmont are looking for coaches. Apparently there are quite a few programs who think Graham Sims is the Next Big Thing. I won't leave Pennsylvania, so two more ADs receive polite refusals.

Now it's time to decide about Coach Sims' assistants. The recommended budget for our three-man coaching staff is about $120,000, and we're currently spending just over $103,000. Could we possibly find some better coaches who will fit our budget?

I take a look at the available coaches, none of whom represent significant upgrades over who we have. I decide to keep the band together for one more year, at least.

None of our players--not even unhappy Dana Broughton and Donnie Pope--decide to transfer out of our program. We don't have any available scholarships, so the Transfer Round will be uneventful.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote