View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 03:41 PM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I don't understand the details as well as many of you, so let me approach this from an ownership perspective and ask: what is the goal we're shooting for with this team?

After reading this:

I come to some conclusions:

1. The bar's probably pretty low for actually making the playoffs since we can have the reasonable expectation that the other 3 teams in the division are going to have tough years. So, ambitions need to be set higher than that.

2. If Goff and the offense can at least replicate last year, they'll be a) able to win games on their own and b) hold up their end of the bargain in the playoffs. However, they're not going to be the type of unit that drags the team through the playoffs to the Super Bowl.

Which means:

3. The defense needs a serious, serious upgrade.

So, a strategic question to me is: to what extent can they upgrade the defense and is it enough to get past the first round for the first time in 21 years and if so is that their short-term goal? Or, could they aim even higher in a NFC lacking elite QBs and get that defensive unit even better than the offensive unit and make a good shot at making the Super Bowl?

Put more simply: is the goal here incremental improvements with success being winning a playoff round, or is there an opportunity to go all-in for a shot at the title?

I feel like the window is now. Windows can open and close pretty quickly in the NFL and given how the Lions ended the season, the lack of QB talent in the conference and the state of the division, it's sort of a... Why not us? Other than Philly and San Francisco, I don't feel like there are any other teams in the NFC that the Lions couldn't, at least, really compete with.

Given how young the core of the team is, we want to build this thing for sustained success, but I think we start trying to create a roster that has a shot of winning the division and making some noise on the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
According to the desert experts, Lions are fifth mathematically to make it to the Super Bowl.

That being said, I want nothing to do with Jalen Ramsey at the ridiculous cost of trading for him and backing up the dump truck to pay him. Seems like the type of thing that just undermines the progress Holmes has made the last few years.

The rumors of trading for Josh Allen though have me excited. No. Not that Josh, the other one who plays defense.

Yeah, I agree with Jalen Ramsey. He would fill a huge, huge need, but given his age and the amount of draft capital and then cap space it would take to acquire him, it feels like it's just too much. It cuts against the notion of trying to make some noise this year, but it doesn't feel like it sets the team up for long term success.

I haven't heard about this Josh Allen rumor, but it intrigues...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote