View Single Post
Old 02-19-2023, 03:07 PM   #92
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So, what are considered the changes/mistakes that were made in 3? I’m really just curious, since I’m looking forward to Diablo 4!

They eliminated a lot of choice and build variety in Diablo 3 while Diablo 4 is bringing back the skill trees and they're focusing on wanting each build to feel like it has its own identity rather than in D3 where every monk played like every other monk, every barbarian feeling like every other barbarian, ect.

In D3 the best in slot for pretty much everything was a unique. So it would hit a point where you really just ignored anything that wasn't a unique. They're reworking how affixes work on all tiers of items to make magic and rare items potentially useful into the late game. Plus, like in D2, items can drop with skills attached to them which could give you build defining items on any tier of item.

In D3 the only thing that mattered for a weapon was DPS. The higher DPS weapon was 99.9% of the time better. With the change to affixes that should change (wider range of potential stats), but they're also adding weapon speed to each drop. So every dagger doesn't have the same weapon speed, ect. So if you want to run an on-hit build you probably want the fastest hitting item with good DPS rather than the one that just does the most damage. Shields had a static block % in D3 while it's a random number for D4 so you have to weigh block % with the affix stats on a shield. More items choice and thought is always a good thing for these games.

Those are biggest changes from D3 that I remember seeing. The art going back to Diablo 1 and 2 style is great as well. The colorful Warcraft/Diablo hybrid we saw for D3 just didn't fit the game.

I'm also excited to see how the open world works and the psuedo-MMO approach with world bosses and such.

I played a lot of D3, but as POE improved over time I ended up spending more time in that. Blizzard makes great engines, but POE did loot, classes, builds, and nearly everything else better IMO. I'm hopeful D4 fixes a lot of the issues with D3.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote