View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 02:34 PM   #184
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Is it okay if they can be considered part of the solution? I have solar panels on our house, and they reduce my bill to just a service charge of $25 in the summer when my neigbhors were complaining on Facebook about having $700 electric bills. Obviously, in the winter, they don't help as much.

I think it's good to come at the problem from multiple angles. Solar/nuclear/geothermal/wind/cold fusion if it ever comes to pass/etc. It takes a village.

You don't need my permission. Nor do you rely on solar energy when it isn't producing enough to power your home.

I don't agree with the subsidies often included with panel installation, and it's such a rabbit hole to talk about the slave labor involved in their production (or the village the slaves in question used to inhabit). But this is a decision you've made for your household - not a decision a government has made for its population.

As for the $700 your neighbors pay... either you live next door to mansions (and if they're complaining about $700, they're probably in over their heads for reasons having nothing to do with electricity) or they're starting to feel the pinch of this massive and ill-considered transition. It will get far worse, and quite soon. Energy security and energy poverty are likely to be the biggest stories of the second half of the '20s.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote