View Single Post
Old 01-01-2023, 01:40 AM   #166
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
that is what many people want, and your "full stop" implies that you're going in that direction.

None of these 'many people' have been cited in this thread, and what I said actually doesn't imply that at all, in any way. I don't disagree with you that humanity has used fossil fuels in ways that have greatly improved society and have made no point that is contrary to that reality, along with already explicitly agreeing with it in a previous post. I am so confused at the reading comprehension here. It's as if my posts don't even exist and you're conversing with someone else who has made claims I haven't gone near.

Here's what I actually said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
You can't just assess the transformation cost in isolation. It's incredibly cheap compared to the alternative. Our current reliance on oil is not sustainable, full stop. That's even if we don't care about the environmental damage. The choice isn't 'EV or status quo'. Status quo isn't an option. Hydrogen at present is a worse alternative. What other serious candidates do we have?

- I said nothing here about fossil fuels on the whole, though that is an important issue vis-a-vis climate change; as I've pointed out, even net-zero advocates accept burning considerable amounts of fossil fuels, that's literally involved in the phrase 'net-zero'.

- The full stop relates to the phrase that literally precedes it; our current reliance on oil is unsustainable. IMO this is simply a 100% demonstrable fact. Regardless of how beneficial oil is, and even leaving aside your own stated principles of energy independence which would mandate not relying on it either, we are going to be forced off of it one way or the other. We can do so on our own terms to a degree, or we can wait until it becomes a crisis and then accept the consequences of that, but oil as something that drives our economy to the degree is currently does is going away no matter what we choose.

- This is so far away from anything even vaguely resembling 'eliminating fossil fuels' that I don't know what to say. It's as if somebody said 'Good morning!' and the reply was 'How dare you threaten me like that!'.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote