View Single Post
Old 12-24-2022, 12:26 AM   #122
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I know someone who is a multi millionaire. His kid was bad at hockey, yet somehow he kept on making the rep team year after year, because the dad would host some pretty cool parties, and hired a few of the other dads on the team.

One thing we overheard during one of the tryouts is the dad telling his son "you better skate hard or else you won't make the team", and then both of them started laughing. He made the team. (he was the lowest scoring forward on the team the previous year, and also did not play defensively at all). He also made the private school hockey team which is elite, because their family paid for the naming rights for the arena. I mean, the team could've cut him, but they probably wouldn't have received that juicy donation.

The kid also goes to a private school, so he is surrounded on a daily basis by other rich kids. Guess what, when there are opportunities, they are most likely going to be available to the kid with all the rich contacts, vs. the public school kid whose parents are struggling to make ends meet, as well as the other friends in their class.

So yes, maybe the kid was not given millions of dollars, but he had opportunities well beyond what a normal person would get. I'm sure that it was similar with Musk. It's easy to work on startups if you're not worried about paying rent, or buying food.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote