View Single Post
Old 12-23-2022, 10:59 AM   #119
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

A friend of mine recently drove from Maryland to the west coast of Michigan (for a board game weekend) and drove his Tesla. He said it was an absolute nightmare in terms of finding charging stations and then having to wait for his car to totally re-charge. It added hours to his trip and he said he'd never do it again.

The infrastructure isn't close to being there and the problems will be worse on big travel weekends - like Memorial Day - when, all of a sudden, you have a lot more folks on the road.

I don't think it's a question of "if" EVs become a major share of vehicles on the road, but when. It's happening. I work for a major OEM and we are switching to EVs and plan to be full electric by 2035, which isn't that far off. Most OEMs are doing the same. The rules being made in Europe and California (primarily) are really driving the industry in that direction.

I don't know if the infrastructure will be there or not, I am guess not. So, it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out and if OEMs reverse or slow down some of these decisions.

With respect to Tesla, I love seeing them go down. I've hated Musk long before it was cool. This whole Twitter debacle and his personal tweets are really hurting Tesla. Not to mention Tesla, like so many other OEMs, are really struggling in terms of supply issues. Tesla is at critical juncture business-wise and Musk being distracted with Twitter isn't helping. In addition, as has been stated before, Tesla is seeing and going to see an unprecedented level of competition in the EV space in the US, Europe and China. That's going to hurt them.

Finally, one big reason Tesla has been profitable is through the sale GHG (greenhouse gas) credits. Because Tesla's fleet is entirely EV, they don't need any of the GHG credits they generate. As a result, they can sell their entire inventory to other OEMs that need these credits to offset the emissions their ICE vehicles create. This has been a massive windfall and source of revenue for Tesla. Once other OEMs begin to have more and more EVs in their fleets, the market for these GHG credits dries up so will a major source of revenue for Tesla.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote