View Single Post
Old 12-22-2022, 12:46 AM   #98
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Are you trying to argue he wasn't rich or didn't own an emerald mine? Errol has spoken about it extenively.

Who Is Elon Musk's Estranged Father? All About Errol Musk

The implication is that Musk had significant backing from his parents for his ventures. See quotes below.
Quote:
Just some guy who bought some companies with his daddy's money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Most people also don't have daddys money to fall back on if they try and fail
Quote:
Most of our parents didn't own a lucrative emerald mine.
His father owned or had shares in an Emerald mine. But that was over by the 1980s. The Snopes article documented quite a bit of news articles, statements, interviews etc. and ultimately concluded

Quote:
We located reporting from as far back as 2009 and 2014 that said when Elon Musk ("Elon" herefafter) was a child in South Africa in the 1980s, his father ("Errol" hereafter) at some point owned "a stake in an emerald mine" near Lake Tanganyika in Zambia, not South Africa. Beyond that, we were unable to find any evidence that showed money generated from his father's involvement in the mine helped Elon build his wealth in North America.

Interestingly, Snopes documented Robert Reich's quote.

Quote:
Later, on Sept. 20, 2022, he called Robert Reich "an idiot and a liar" for tweeting a video that pushed the emerald mine wealth rumor as fact. Reich, the former secretary of labor under U.S. President Bill Clinton and a professor of public policy at University of California, Berkeley, had tweeted, "Elon Musk came from a family that owned an emerald mine in apartheid South Africa." He also added, "'Self-made billionaires' are a myth."
It would be great if Reich can backup his assertions but apparently not.

Quote:
We reached out to Reich to ask if he could provide evidence of his assertion, but did not receive a response before this story was published.

What are your sources that his parents helped fund his ventures?

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-22-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote