View Single Post
Old 03-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #349
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
But the whole "give them planes" should be a no-brainer. Like what fell apart there? Isn't there some way to trade F-14s for Migs or F-14s and baseball's best friend "cash considerations" for Migs that would help with this problem? Or maybe see if Ukraine just happens to have some foreign nationals that have A-10 flight experience?
SI

I haven't read why it fell apart. Maybe it was never a done deal but Ukraine decided to publicize it anyway. If anyone know how it started and how it fell apart, appreciate a link.

But yeah, some European countries had some MIGs that Ukraine would fly. So like do a swap for NATO F-16 jets. Googling says $30M sticker.

Quote:
Presumably, one of the reasons the F-16 remains so popular is its cost. With a roughly $30 million price tag, an F-16 sells for less than 80% of the sticker price of Sukhoi's Flanker. Lockheed's savvy move to begin producing the F-16 in India, moreover, promises to help the F-16 undercut the competition on price for years.

I read that A-10 (Bbbrrrrrttttttt) would be sitting ducks if no air superiority (or cover).

Even if more air will help, they will eventually get shot down or have maintenance issues. If I had to pick one, I'd go with zillions of Stingers & Javelins (and a bunch of other military weapons, equipment) and then wink-wink at NATO non-active combat veterans that want to go over.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote