View Single Post
Old 02-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #155
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I hate to be Debbie Downer here, but what happens if this all turns? What it looks like to me is that Putin expected a quick surrender and sort of half-assed the invasion. Now, I think they are starting to really pour in troops and hitting soft targets to weaken resistance before they bring in overwhelming numbers. If Kyiv falls in a couple of days. If the Ukrainian president is captured, or more likely shot. What happens then?

It also looked like they were trying to go "minimal casualty", as much as you can during wartime. Yes, there were some civilians killed, but they looked a lot more like accidental attacks not deliberate. They were hoping to just take over the Ukrainian government and leave most things intact - better to not have to use your own money to rebuild your future colonies. It feels like in the last 48 hours, Putin may have pivoted to actually wiping the Ukrainians off the face of the earth, even without using nukes. He called in the Chechens with the brutal reputation (and they were promptly killed). There's been more targeting of civilians, more hits on infrastructure like the gas pipelines and storage, etc. If he wants to ratchet things up, direct fighting towards some more critical areas "accidentally" hit that dam which takes out electricity and floods a number of towns, hit the nuclear waste supply depots, fight near water treatment plants and accidentally cripple those - that sort of thing.

I really have no idea where this goes from Putin getting "suicided" to protracted war with atrocities to more strategic goals where Russia pulls back from fortified Kiev and concentrates on the eastern part of the country.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote