View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #61
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, weird dilemma for me right now.

I can buy the 88-rated players in the Ultimate Kickoff set today for around 105K each, 420K for 4x of them. That's enough for a set to get the 91-rated Megatron WR or Sean Taylor. Those are God Squad cards right now that everyone wants so they are selling for... close to 400K.

So maybe I spend 420K and get back 360K by selling the 91 card. But in the set you apparently also get back 4x of your choice of the 88-rated cards, in a restricted version (can't auction, trade, or use in sets). Four 88-rated players would be meaningful to my team right now, if I am willing to depart that much from my theme team. Have to stew on it a bit but I think this is too good to pass up.

Still ruminating on this. Very hard to conclude anything other than this is a major improvement to my team for rather small gold investment. For me, it's more about how far am I willing to drift away form a legit "theme team" here.

I have 2x of these 88-rated guys in hand from playing challenges. I have LE Clowney already, and have yet to decide what to do with the other "fantasy pack" unopened. But that could be C Alex Mack, for example, if I wanted to stick with the Browns. Or, it could be Will Fuller if I wanted to develop my 1B project, a Dolphins theme team.

Anyway... if I went ahead and did this set, I'd end up with a 91-rated guy to sell, and then 4x non-tradeable non-auctionable 88-rated cards that are basically only usable as players, and nothing else. So, I'd likely end up with a total of 6:

DE Clowney
C Mack
RG Zeitler?
WR Fuller
...and then since I'm out of theme fits, maybe
DT Tomlinson (major need right now)
TE Everett (same)
or
LT Fisher (76 to 88 is a huge move, even if OL are unexciting)

So - that would be a pretty meaningful moved-the-needle play for the short term on my theme team. And what would it cost?

Right now:

-the 88-player market has settled (largely because of everyone wanting to do this set) around 100K for each card... maybe with discipline I could spend 380K to get 4x of them for the set

-the 91-rated guy I'd get back, right now, looks to sell for about 330K, so the wise assumption is that I'd be able to get back 300K "after taxes"

-the set would only cost me about 80-90K, I suspect, assuming everything goes according to plan (there's some risk that I mis-time the market somehow and have to settle for a lower 91 sell price, or something like that)

Seriously, for 80K, right now, I can just barely upgrade my Jack Conklin RT card from 83 to 87. That's for context. This is a HUGE upgrade in talent, for right now, for an awfully small investment. It's hard to justify not doing it unless you're a very committed theme teamer.

The devil's advocate argument is that in a little time, these 88 guys will no longer feel special, and since I can't auction/sell/quicksell them for anything, it's just a lost investment. They give me a 90+ rated Joe Thomas at some point (pretty likely), and I suddenly have zero need or desire for my non-Browns 88 LT, it's garbage to me. That's where all of this will surely be in, say, 6-8 weeks time.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote