View Single Post
Old 12-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #73
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
He also sounds like he's a "type A perfectionist" which I'm familiar with. He will put himself under incredible amounts of pressure to reach not only the high standards the team sets, but to exceed those, to meet his own, which may be completely unrealistic and unattainable. He probably feels like he should be doing well on the "A" team and he's being extra hard on himself and coming to grips with his own struggles just isn't something he is mature enough to face, so he keeps pushing, while crumbling inside. Which leads to the loss of self confidence that you're seeing as well. There is a way to get the most out of that personality, but from my own experience with myself and the son of mine who is like me, is that counseling and therapists are going to be a necessity. He can still break through and find success, but he's just bringing in some of this extra baggage that is going to throw a few more roadblocks up when he does hit rough patches.

We started counseling about 2 weeks ago, 3rd session was Tuesday. You hit the nail on the head there as that's part of his gifted diagnosis. Way too hard on himself and anything less than near immediate success is really tough to watch in how he reacts to it.

FWIW he was great after I posted last night too. A really positive attitude about just about everything which was a nice relief considering what I thought the day was going to be like after a rough counseling session in the morning where we discussed new boundaries and time limits to his access to recreational technology.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 12-16-2020 at 06:05 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote