View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 03:30 AM   #286
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Kind of lost in the shuffle are the gains that the republicans made in the House of Representatives, defying all pre-election polling. Incumbent house republicans have not lost a single race. I think this is further evidence that the blue wave was largely a myth, and the presidential election was a refutation of Trump. The Georgia senate runoffs should be very interesting.

Kim Beats Cisneros in California House Race: Republican Pickup

So, I mean, if you're married to the idea that there was some kind of interference in the elections (see: the memes going DEMOCRATS WERE UP IN ARMS ABOUT RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE FOUR YEARS AGO BLAH BLAH), it wouldn't be a huge stretch to go "look, Russia's goal is to undermine the United States, and they can get a two-fer by both triggering a Trump tantrum over losing AND undermining Biden's ability to actually get anything done as President."

So that blue wave that ends up not being a blue wave? Explains how you end up with situations like "Biden wins this state with a vulnerable Republican senator who wins going away." If Russia interfered again, but did so in a sophisticated enough way to split the baby, so to speak.

The other option is, as I've argued until I'm blue in the face, the Occam's Razor solution - that, yeah, people rejected Trump specifically, but not his Republican allies generally (which is weird).

The intelligence agencies have talked about Russia looking to interfere again in 2020, but there hasn't been any chatter on what that would have looked like, so...

But there isn't really a defensible scenario that has the Democrats, or their allies, putting their thumb on the scale just enough to elect Biden without ALSO bringing along a Senate he can work with.

It's either continued Russian undermining of American democracy, just in a more sophisticated way, or the electorate rejected Trump and not Republicans.

The "Democrats cheated to steal the election!" narrative just doesn't hold water.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote