View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #397
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Beginning of the Ashley era?
Indeed, we've got a quarterback.

The second round of the 2094 draft is ongoing and with the trio of second round picks lumped closely together, we've address three of our needs, at least in quantity. Quarterback Earnest Ashley, cornerback Bryson Swafford and left tackle Johnnie Houston were our selections.

The selection of quarterback Earnest Ashley should make some eyebrows raise. He's graded amongst the 4th through 6th best passers in this class. We didn't interview him, which is the questionable part. The Solecismic Test score was solid (40), his sense rush ability looks good. But this is the second round, the place to make this kind of decisions. Will he be our future starter? Time will tell. We're still looking at other options, Moe Sheldon's best before date is expiring, if not already expired. Don't count out that we'll continue our search.

The selection of cornerback Bryson Swafford brings our group back to four on roster, once he arrives of course. He ranks 10th in this class and with our brand new defensive coordinator, it's quite the risk to trust his scouting ability. In contrast, that DC has an excellent interviewing reputation and that's where Swafford jumped up on our board: very underrated. We'll try to ignore his overall grades and scouting ability and see what he can do. At least, I hope to keep that discipline.

Right tackle Johnnie Houston may look like one tackle too many after our first round pick Isaac Delgado. Well, I beg to differ as Howard Humphrey is the last man standing, we needed a new couple of tackles. Humphrey can mentor them. Delgado might be good enough to play on either end, Houston to me looks like a guy that should play left tackle, not right tackle, so, we'll move him over. Probably. At least my staff told me he's going to be as good as advertised. He'd better!

Not much else to report on for now. No free agent signings. One non-signing player on roster. We failed to lock up our restricted free agents, but we will tomorrow.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote