View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
SirBlurton
High School Varsity

Gridzone: Turf War - The Canadian Gridzone League

The purpose of this dynasty will be to track the evolution of the Canadian Gridzone League. The games will be played using the Gridzone: Turf War board game recently released by Stone Mountain Press.

This is a second edition of the game, the first being available for free - but the second has been streamlined and the first couple of play throughs were a lot of fun. Gary's games always tend to evoke a strong narrative feel and dramatic moments.

The high level summary of that game is that it's football - but:
- points are gained by advancing the ball from your own "zero" yard line - 1 pt per ten yard zone with a bonus 5 pts for a TD. 14pts total for a successful drive.
-There's no clock - just a set number of plays
-There are no special teams.
-It's 7 on 7

The game rules are meant to have some "abstraction" where each play is just a "key play" from a series - but I like it better where it's just a play is a play.

I've completed the initial draft using some tools I'd built in Python for the first game and am excited to dig in! Won't commit to doing the whole season - my main objective is to get familiar enough with the engine to pick up again on the app I was building for the first edition.

SirBlurton is offline   Reply With Quote