View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 06:01 PM   #238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sure what thread this fits best in, I'll go with it here I guess.

With wife & child approaching the MS/AL state line as they head back home and Oxford, MS growing smaller in the rear view mirror by the second, the undergrad portion of things is as done as done can be I guess.

As we emptied the apartment he's been in for the past 2 years and designated stuff for moving on to Miami, coming back to Athens, or going into the dumpster, one of the things he noted was how much different he felt about Oxford now versus four years ago.

The impact of the abrupt shutdown of school, the aggressive lockdown of the town by local politicians, the various controversies ... a place that once felt like (at worst) a second home had turned into somewhere he couldn't put out of sight and mind fast enough. A mixture of sadness and anger about all that seems like a fair description.

To be clear, there are some locals/natives that are first-rate human beings, or as he put it "could still be a good place if it weren't for the faculty and about 1/3rd of the students".

I'm just relieved that it's officially no longer my problem.