View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #205
Suicane75
Coordinator

1965 Off Season

Lou Johnson gets $50K in arbitration, Buck Rogers gets $17K, Mota gets $29K, Santo gets $18K, Cloninger gets $180K, Fred Talbot gets $17K.

Aparicio wants $41K a season, we have to let him walk.

Couple of problems here. As much as I like Cloninger and Johnson, I can't afford them. Yaz can play RF full time and if we need a lefty platoon mate we can get one much cheaper than $50K. And Cloninger forget about, it's just too much money.

We ship Cloninger & Johnson to San Diego for two decent prospects, 20 year old CF Paul Blair and 18 year old SP Ken Holtzman.

In an effort to redo our pen and cut some costs we ship Closer Fred Talbot and setup man Don Bradey, both in their last year, to the A's for RP Pete Mikkelsen and a couple of middling prospects. Mikkelsen has 2 years at $22K and should be decent.

We then trade a couple of good prospects, pitchers Fred Rath & Bill Whitby to the Angels for 21 year old reliever Ed Sukla & 19 year old prospect Jophery Brown.

Rookie Don Arlich joins a rotation of Jenkins, Lolich, John & Culp. Our pen is revamped and probably not as good but should be ok. New additions Sukla & Mikkelsen will play important roles as will rookie Danny Lazar. Len Church has the closers job.
We have a couple of good prospects in AAA ready to go if needed in Fred Klages & Dennis Musgraves.

Good looking rookie Ed Brinkman takes over at SS and Yaz is now the full time RF.

We have two very strong prospects at AAA in SS Bert Campaneris and RF Johnny Callison

Not quite sure how to evaluate this team heading into the season. The pitching is a bigger question than I'd like but our offense will be fine. If guys on the staff struggle though I wont hesitate to bring up the rookie or move guys around.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 07-11-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote