View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #122
Suicane75
Coordinator

1955 MLB Season

April- 11-15, 6.5 games behind the Dodgers, in 7th place. Oy. Gale Wade not doing so well replacing Irvin, luckily he's back within the week. Campanella is really struggling as well but our heart of the order is hitting well. Lew Burdette missed two weeks with a broken finger. Troy Herriage has a 9 ERA over 34 innings, for the love of Lola. Our pen has been very good.

May- 25-28, 11.5 games back of the Cubs in 3rd place. Irvin came back and it didn't spark us as I'd hoped, then he retweaked the knee and will miss 3-4 weeks. Bleh.

June- 38-43, 17.5 games back. We traded SP Kent Peterson to the A's for a couple of guys, they offered and it saved us $4,000 so what the hell. Troy Herriage had an ERA over 7 in the middle of June, we had to demote him, not that his replacement is any good.

In the draft, Juan Marichal went 2nd overall to Washington. We took 3B Brooks Robinson with our 1st round pick.

July- 53-54, 17.5 games behind the Cubs. SS Clem Koshorek tore his quad and missed the month. Bud Black missed a couple of weeks with a broken finger. Our depth at starter can't sustain injuries.

Unable to find any suitable deal for younger talent, we work out a 3 way deal with the Reds and Yankees. Campanella and a few minor leaguers to the Yankees, C Yogi Berra to the Reds and C Smoky Burgess to us. The deal saves us about $25K and Burgess is not a bad little player.

I put some feelers out to see what we could get for Burdette and Wertz and I just couldn't pull the trigger. I really came close to just gutting the team. It'd be one thing if we were putting up bad numbers, but outside of McMillan our lineup is really producing and our pitching is decent. Our starters are solid but I have a feeling that in order to win I'm gonna need more than a few top notch aces.

August- We had an insanely good August and are 73-62, 14 games back. Just when I think it's time to blow things up I'm teased with the idea that a full year with a healthy Irvin and 1 more stud pitcher we could be contenders again.

September- Closer Tom Poholsky missed most of the month which did us no favors and we finished 79-75 and 23 games behind the Cubs who are building their own dynasty.

Greengrass with 33 and Adcock with 31 placed in the top 10 in homers, Adcocks 180 hits were good for 9th in baseball and his 106 RBI were good for 8th. Black at 2.72 and Burdette at 2.93 both were top 10 in ERA. Monte Irvin had a solid comeback year, going .296 with 21 homers. 2B Roy McMillan really struggled and that no doubt hurt us. Our top 3 reliever, Poholsky, Lasorda and Clark all had really good years. I think it just comes down to our 3rd, 4th and 5th starters need to be better.

We lost money on the year but still stayed above water with a decent operating budget so that's good. It may be time next year to try and move a bat for an arm, especially with Hank Aaron looming in the farm system.

The Cubs and White Sox will meet in a 3rd straight World Series.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 07-06-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote