View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #97
Suicane75
Coordinator

1952 Offseason

Our debt caused us to lose 1B Luke Easter, 2B Lorenzo Davis, RF Ron Northey, IF Danny Murtaugh and OF Dick Wakefield. So 3/8 of our starting lineup is gone. Willie Jones got bank in arbitration. Burdette, Simmons and Rotblatt all got small raises in arbitration.

I'm implementing a house rule, I can only accept trades offered on the trading block, I can't go out and offer trades. Want to make this as difficult as possible.

The question is, with more salary parred and more income expected to come in this upcoming season, do I keep what I have left in tact or gut the team. I feel like I'll be asking myself this question every year, heh.

Monte Irvin and Roy Campanella have no trade clauses and wont approve trades to any team.

I put Willie Jones on the trade block and get some intriguing offers. In the end I settle on Cincinnati's offer that includes a 23 year old power hitting left fielder named Jim Greengrass, A good 22 year old SS prospect named Roy McMillan, and a quality reliever by the name of Ed Blake. Not only was this the best offer talent wise, but money wise as well as only Blake at $4,500 this year is making any kind of money. We'll save about $55,000 with this deal. We switch McMillan to 2B and he'll likely get that job to start the year.

So yeah, a much different looking team coming into the 52 season. We will give our best SP prospect Troy Herriage the 5th starter spot, our pitching should really solid. On offense it's a crapshoot. Campanella will move to 1B and longtime backup catcher Andy Seminick will take over behind the plate. McMillan and Koshorek at SS & 2B are very good defensively but likely wont hit much. Greengrass is the wild card, he hit 29 homers last year and if he can produce like that and continue to blossom we may be ok.

We're $100,000 in debt but $100,000 under budget so we may be able to get out of debt by seasons end but even then we'll have to be super thrifty and we have a cavalcade of expiring contracts and arbitration eligible players. We'll see.

Edit: Spec Shea signed with the Braves, Lorenzo Davis signed with the Red Sox, Luke Easter went to the Tigers and Ron Northey went to the Giants.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 07-04-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote