View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #404
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
you have no idea what weight the name 'Shamrock' has to the uninformed.

Actually Flasch, we both should have a pretty good idea. "None whatsoever" to the truly uninformed, as that implies they know zero about him. And to the tangently interested, Vince's inability to get the guy over provides a pretty good insight into how marketable he is to a considerable portion of the available audience.

Quote:
and Jon me and you could very easily sit around the table and work up an entire marketing scheme to get the next CBS card over just on promos alone and video highlights.

We could ... but CBS isn't likely too IMO. Airing this at all was controversial inside the network, there's no sign that they're going to put forth much effort beyond the standard level. And the promotional efforts by Elite that were made leading up to last night (as either that editorial I linked mentioned, or a couple of others I read last night referenced, can't remember which) turned into personality ops for Slice & Carano far more than event publicity.

The problem is that outside of those two (and the Cyborg), I really don't see much to promote to the masses here. And Slice just got devalued heavily. There might be something that could be done with pink hair boy from last night but that's iffy at best IMO (depending upon his regular packaging, he seemed more like street trash that the average stay-at-home viewer on Saturday would avoid on the street than be interested in watching or knowing more about). Otherwise, what are you going to promote when you consider that the vast majority of these guys are anonymous with their own genre, much less the mainstream. Right now even good competitive fights in this promotion are ultimately as compelling as watching two strangers on the street in a random scuffle.