View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #124
Calis
College Starter

So UFC 74 was this past weekend, and overall I thought it was a pretty exciting card. I thought it was much better than the underwhelming "stacked" UFC 73.

Where to start? Randy was Randy once again. The broken nose from the headbutt obviously played a big part in how this fight turned out, but I think Randy controlled Gabe pretty well regardless of that. I was impressed as usually Randy has a tough time with guys bigger than him. He played it perfectly once again though. I thought Gabe was a bit overhyped after the Cro Cop win, and I still think he is somewhat, but man he throws some strikes with force. It wasn't a lucky shot against Cro Cop, his high kick is nasty and I believe one of them broke Randy's arm. Gabe also has the first instance I can remember seeing where a fighter called time in a fight, what the hell? That was such a weird moment. It worked though, so I give him credit for that.

GSP came back and also had an excellent gameplan for his fight. It wasn't super flashy but he out-wrestled MMA's supposed best wrestler quite easily. No one was ever in any real trouble, but GSP was in control the whole way. Koscheck did better on his back than I thought he would though, he didn't offer an offense from there, but he made it very tough for GSP to get any attacks in. Good movement. I don't like him, but Koscheck really has improved leaps and bounds over the last couple years.

Roger Huerta using the big screens to find where Alberto Crane was on his back and throw elbows was a classic MMA moment. That was good stuff.

Anyone see the Babalu/Heath preliminary fight? My God that was a blood bath. This is the fight that explains the huge blood stain on the mat from the beginning of the PPV, pretty nasty stuff. Babalu also was fined a decent chunk for holding his choke WAY after Heath tapped and the ref tried to pull him off. Crappy move by Babalu, but impressive fight.

Overall I'm just glad that this MMA drought is over. We had UFC 74 this last weekend, in two weeks we have the free PPV with Henderson vs. Rampage, and Cro Cop trying to bounce back, and then we get Shogun's UFC debut at the end of the month. I can't wait.

I'm really excited to see Henderson and Rampage. I keep changing my mind on who I think will take that one, but I can't see it being a bad fight either way. I'll be pulling for Rampage though.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote