View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #407
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
I'm really getting a kick out of the idea that the artist owes something to an audience.

You can increase or decrease a work's reception by including or deleting elements that make it more or less palatable to a wider audience. Clearly Chase was uninterested in providing standard closure. Bright people generally are more interested in new works than copies of old ones.

If you want closure, read some Mother Goose. One of the themes of The Sopranos is that closure is a fantasy -- Tony never gets psychiatric/emotional closure about his issues, his kids don't turn into the Cleavers, his marriage is a tattered mess, his mafia family is devastated, the feds are after him with no case being made throughout our viewing period...do you see a whole lot of closure with any of those themes? See why the core audience might be interested in aspects of the show that don't involve closure?

The Suck Generation needs to quit acting like they're owed a version of the show that is tailored to their aesthetic. The fact the show is a monumental achievement is because the people behind it are better at this than you. Just look at the landscape of failed series and films that tried to give an audience an expected, pat narrative. Put your own narcissistic, amateur arguments away and try to learn something from this work, because it's not going to change, but you might still be able to learn something from it.

I get that you like the show, but I don't think not liking the ending means that I'm not "bright."

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote