View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #310
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm sure that's all true, I think we're just saying that for those of us unaware of Don't Stop Believin's "revival" (as David Chase probably was), I think it had the intended effect. I'm also guessing he had that song in mind for the final scene since very early on, if not before the series even started.

I agree with that. Which is why I'm sure he stuck with the song even though it had gotten popular. I guess what I'm trying to say is it might have been more effective without the recent history of the song, and it seems like that did effect some viewers negatively (although I didn't watch anything other than that scene), but the song obviously had a relevance to the show for which the popularity of the song didn't matter.

On that other board, there is this post detailing the songs on the jukebox, if anyone is interested in looking for "hidden meanings:"

"
Here are the songs titles I can read (from top to bottom) on the pages of the jukebox as Tony flips through it. To my surpise, a lot of the songs are repeated throughout the jukebox, but never in the same order. So I don't think its just a simple matter of the close-ups of the jukebox being edited into the scene out of order. While songs are repeated, they page of the jukebox upon which they appear is never in the same order twice.

Page numbers were designated by me, upon best guess based upon how the scene was shot and edited. I list song titles left column first, then right column, and always top to bottom.

Page 1 - Left Hand Column
Illegible.

Page 1 - Right Hand Column
1) Somewhere In The Night;
2) My Baby Drives a Buick;
3) Those Were The Days;
4) Turn Turn Turn;
5) Only The Strong Survive;
6) Victim of Love;
7) I've Gotta Be Me;

Page 2 - Left Hand Column

All songs from Page 1 - Right Hand Column, but in reverse order.

Page 2 - Right Hand Column
1) I've Gotta Be Me
2) A Lonely Place;
3) This Magic Moment;
4) Since I Don't Have You;
5) Crystal Blue Persuasion;
6) I'm Alive;

Page 3 - Left Hand Column

Not shown onscreen.

Page 3 -Right Hand Column

1) I'll Take You (Heartache and All);
2) Somewhere In The Night (third appearance);
3) My Baby Drives a Buick (third appearance);
4) Who Will You Run To;
5) Magic Man (Live);
6) A Lonely Place (Second Appearance);
7) This Magic Moment (Second Appearance);
8) Since I Don't Have You (Second Appearance);
9) Crystal Blue Persuasion (Second Appearance);

Page 4 - Left Hand Column

Not shown onscreen.

Page 4 - Right Hand Column

1) Magic Man (Live) (Second Appearance);
2) Don't Stop Believing;
3) Anyway You Want It;
4) I'll Never Be In Love Again;
5) Rock It Billy;
6) I've Gotta Be Me (Second Appearance);
7) A Lonely Place (Second Appearance).

- - -

Obviously, a lot of the song titles clearly resonate with themes throughout the show. I'm curious as to why "My Baby Drives a Buick" was included prominently three separate times. Any remarkable appearances of a Buick in the show? Places I'm going to look for are Junior or Johnny's car in flashbacks, Livia's car (esp. when she ran over her friend); or the car used in the various countryside driving dreams when Tony was in the backseat.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote