View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #145
NevStar
High School Varsity

Guess I'll get in on this, too.... happy new year!

THE STORY

I've been fat all my life. I have no excuses for this, won't blame anyone else or a "weak metabolism," it's just that food tastes good and exercise is hard. Throughout college, I was around 350 lbs. Three years ago, I was down to 250 lbs (I'm 6'3"), but have since ballooned back up to over 400 lbs.

I'm 29 years old. In the last year, I've been having lots of weight-related health problems. High blood pressure (which I've been medicated for for the last 5 years), borderline high cholesterol, chronic back pain, plantar fasciitis, and a breathing condition which manifests as asthma and has a fancy medical name that I can't remember, but basically means "your gut's so big that your diaphragm can't fully expand).

My doctor first suggested gastric bypass surgery a year ago, and in my last checkup last year has been much more aggressively pushing it. I really don't want to expose myself to the dangers of surgery unless I have to. But my health has deteriorated to the point where I see this as my last chance before surgery.

THE PLAN

Nutrition: Limit myself to 2000-2500 calories a day. At my size, my basal metabolic rate is around 3500, so I should lose 2-3 lbs a week, ignoring exercise.

I've considered using a food journal like www.fitday.com or www.sparkpeople.com to track my food intake, but usually get bored with that after a couple of weeks. For now, I'm just going to estimate by hand. For now, I'm not going to pay attention to fat-carb-protein percentages or sodium count. The most important thing is making calories in < calories out.

Fitness: I've joined a health club, Anytime Fitness. Ideally, I'd like to work out twice a day, 5 times a week, an hour per visit.

Mornings: 30 minutes cardio (usually an elliptical trainer), planning to gradually work up to one hour.

Evenings: Resistance training for 45 minutes, followed by 20-30 minutes cardio.

Right now my weight training will be full body, 3 times a week, just to refamiliarize myself with the equipment. I plan to split that up into upper body-lower body splits, and work each half twice a week (for a weight training schedule like Monday (upper) - Tues (lower) - Thurs (upper) - Fri (lower) ).

Real-life usually makes me eliminate one of those visits (plus, right now, I just don't have the stamina to last longer than 30 minutes on any cardio equipment). I'm also meeting with a personal trainer once a week. During the first visit, he worked a lot on stability & core exercises. It was different from anything I'd ever done & kicked my butt.

STARTING WEIGHT: (as of 1/1/07) 445 lbs
FINAL GOAL: 225 lbs

INTERMEDIATE GOAL: 299 lbs by 11/14/07 - This is aggressive, but I'd like to be in the two hundreds by my 30th birthday.

I'll post first week progress in another post.